Andover Newton Theological School
A few years after obtaining his undergraduate degree from Morehouse College, Claude Black decided to pursue a graduate degree in Divinity. He attended Andover Newton Theological School in Newton Center, Massachusetts from 1940-1943. After receiving his degree from Andover Newton, he returned to San Antonio, Texas, where he became the pastor at Mt. Zion First Baptist Church in 1949. He preached there for the rest of his career.
Rev. Claude Black became involved with religious life on Trinity University's campus soon after the university opened its San Antonio campus, giving a speech as chapel speaker at a chapel service in 1955.
Three years after Trinity University's move to San Antonio, Texas from Waxahachie, Texas, Rev. Black, still a relatively new pastor at Mt. Zion First Baptist Church, attended a chapel service at the university. The university chapel welcomed him as its guest speaker and he gave the morning message, "A Greater Freedom."
After this, his relationship with the university continued as he became acquainted with the Urban Studies graduate department and its then director Dr. Earl M. Lewis in the early 1970s. Rev. Black corresponded with Dr. Lewis, came to speak to Trinity students on his thoughts and experiences about the city of San Antonio and the east side, and accepted an Urban Studies Scholarship from Dr. Lewis to attend graduate courses in Urban Studies for the 1971-1972 class year.
Rev. Black remained in contact with Trinity University even after he finished his classes.
Huston-Tillotson Honorary Doctorate
In 1982, Rev. Black received a letter from Huston-Tillotson's John Taylor King, a family friend, announcing that the university would be awarding Rev. Black an honorary degree of Doctor in Divinity. Included in the letter was a handout with information on Huston-Tilotson. Rev. Black held onto the Convocation booklet from the ceremony where he was honored.